Behind the Send
Sharing the stories of the people who make the climbing life possible.
Climbing is often depicted as an individual pursuit—the climber versus the rock—yet, that doesn’t tell the full story. There’s a team behind every ascent, from the route developer who has the vision to establish a new line, to the belayer who provides encouragement and a safe catch, to the coaches and physios who keep us strong, to the product designers who engineer the gear we use, and to all of mentors who show us the way.
This December we are sharing the stories of the people and professionals behind the send. We invite you to follow us on social media for blog posts, videos, and live interviews from the many different and often under-appreciated pillars of the community who make the climbing life possible.
Find the calendar of events below, along with the archive of stories from the ones behind the send.
Calendar of Events
The Ones Behind the Send
- The Climbing Coach: Dicki Korb, with Alex Megos
- The App Developer: Cody Roth & Vertical-Life
- The Filmmaker: Ken Etzel
- The Rocktrotter: Klemen Bečan
- The Advocate: Chris Winter and the Access Fund
- The Climbing Doctor: Jared Vagy
- The Explorer: Jimmy Webb
- The Sensei: Uri Maraver
- The Nutritionist and the Trainer: Luis Rodriguez and Iris Matamoros
- The Mentor: Philippe Dufraisse and Alizée Dufraisse
- The Tactician: Drew Ruana
- The Record Keeper: Jens Larssen
- The Guidebook Author: Pete O’Donovan
- The Mountain Guide: Lise Billon
- The Route Developers: Chris Sharma and Boone Speed
- The Route Setter: Jacky Godoffe